The Mackay family occupied the site of the now Royal Bank from 1860, trading a small bakery and butchers shop. 1900 saw the demolition of the original building and the lavish creation of a three story purpose built facility and the car park to the rear was the bakery. The original building housed the shop selling bakery, deli and confectionery goods, the first floors housed three small tearooms, the piping room (where all the baked goods and sweets were decorated) and the kitchen. The second floor had a good sized function room and the third was “The Largs Business Club” complete with billiard table.
1930 saw the business grow again with the addition of the restaurant which doubled as a ballroom complete with sprung oak dance floor (still evident). 1975 saw ownership transfer to Mr Rio Stakis, who only operated the ground floor as a steakhouse and quickly became disillusioned by the lack of support he received while pursuing a liquor licence and sold out to The Royal Bank of Scotland.
In 1984, the only ever collaboration of the two big families of Largs “Nardinis” and “Castleveccis” saw the conversion of the upper floors to a Health Club complete with disco. The concept was good but ahead of its time and was sold on. In 1986, the building was re-opened as Carriages Nightclub but only lasted a year. Various developers owned the property over the following 17 years without actually developing its potential.
2003 – Lounge
Creation of bar and restaurant on first floor
Creation of function room and club
Creation of 50 cover Roof Terrace with servery